Historic Houses and Societies

1749 Spooner House
27 North Street
Plymouth, MA 02361
Phone: 508-746-0012

1749 Spooner House

Built circa 1749 for the widow Hannah Jackson, the Spooner House is one of the oldest structures on Plymouth's picturesque North Street. It was home to one Plymouth family, the Spooners, for over two hundred years. The first Spooner to occupy the house was Deacon Ephraim Spooner, a successful local merchant and patriot during the American Revolution. Read more about 1749 Spooner House

The Jabez Howland House
33 Sandwich Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
Phone: 508-746-9590

The Jabez Howland House

The Jabez Howland House is the only existing house in Plymouth where Pilgrims actually lived. The original 17th century two-story timber framed house consisted of the porch, hall and hall chamber. John Howland and his wife, Elizabeth Tilley Howland spent their winters here with their son Jabez and his family. Read more about The Jabez Howland House

1677 Harlow Old Fort House
119 Sandwich Street
Plymouth, MA
Phone: 508-746-0012

1677 Harlow Old Fort House

Built in 1677, the gambrel-roofed Harlow Old Fort House is one of the few remaining 17th century buildings in the oldest established town in the Commonwealth. It was originally the family residence of settler William Harlow, a farmer, cooper and town official, who also served as sergeant of the local militia and participated in King Philip's War. Read more about 1677 Harlow Old Fort House

1749 Court House and Museum
Town Square
Plymouth, MA 02360
Phone: 508-830-4075

1749 Court House and Museum

Located right in the center of Plymouth, The 1749 Court House is a museum filled with interesting items from Plymouth's history. It is the oldest wooden Court House and the longest used municipal building in America. The 1749 Court House was originally built for the joint use of the county and the Town of Plymouth. Read more about 1749 Court House and Museum

Daniel Webster Estate
238 Webster Street
Marshfield, MA
Phone: 781-834-0548

Daniel Webster Estate

Daniel Webster is best remembered as a statesman, orator, lawyer, U.S. Senator and Secretary of State. He is least remembered for being a farmer, fisherman and hunter. Daniel Webster came to Marshfield in 1828 and, two years later bought the 600-acre Thomas Farm. During the twenty years that he lived here, Webster expanded to an 1800-acre farm that he named "Green Harbor". Read more about Daniel Webster Estate

Mayflower Society House
4 Winslow Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
Phone: 508-746-3188

Mayflower Society House

Across the street and around the corner from Plymouth Rock, in the heart of this quaint village’s historic district, is the Mayflower Society House. The grounds host the historic eighteenth century dwelling built by Edward Winslow. Behind this stately mansion are the offices and library of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants. Read more about Mayflower Society House

Plimoth Plantation
137 Warren Avenue
Plymouth, MA 02360
Phone: (508) 746-1622

Wampanoag Plimoth Plantation Homesite

Here you'll discover how the 17th-century Wampanoag would have lived along the coast during the growing season; planting their crops, fishing and hunting, gathering wild herbs and berries for food, and reeds for making mats and baskets. Read more about Wampanoag Plimoth Plantation Homesite

1809 Hedge House
126 Water Street
Plymouth, MA
Phone: 508-746-0012

1809 Hedge House Museum

The 1809 Hedge House is one of Plymouth's finest examples of Federal period architecture, featuring octagonal rooms in the mainblock, and a rare, intact carriage house. Built by sea captain William Hammatt, the house was originally located on Court St., where Memorial Hall is today. Read more about 1809 Hedge House Museum

Bradford House Museum
931 Tremont Street
Duxbury , MA
Phone: 781-934-6106

Captain Gershom Bradford House Museum

Built in 1808, this historic Federal-style home belonged to four generations of seafaring Bradfords before it was donated to the Duxbury Rural and Historical Society in 1968. The Bradfords were descended from Pilgrim William Bradford and were prominent members of Duxbury society. Sarah Hickling Bradford supervised the initial stages of the home's construction while her husband, Captain Gershom Bradford, was held captive by the French. Read more about Captain Gershom Bradford House Museum

Mann Farmhouse and Museum
108 Greenfield Lane
Scituate, MA 02066
Phone: 781-545-1083

Mann Farmhouse and Museum

Three generations of the Mann family lived at the Mann Farmhouse at the corner of Stockbridge Road and Greenfield Lane, direct descendants of Richard Mann who came to Scituate in 1636. The main house that now stands is a typical full Cape with a large central chimney. The ell was added and served as a summer kitchen, storage area and workshop. Read more about Mann Farmhouse and Museum

Cudworth House
331 First Parish Road
Scituate, MA 02066
Phone: 781-545-1083

Cudworth House, Barn and Cattle Pound

The Cudworth House sits on land granted to Richard Garrett before 1646. In 1728 Jael Garrett sold the dwelling house and land to James Cudworth. Ownership passed to his grandson, Zephaniah, who built the present house in 1797 around the chimney of the original structure on the site. Read more about Cudworth House, Barn and Cattle Pound

Hatch Mill Restoration & Preservation Group Inc.
Off Union Street
Marshfield, MA 02050
Phone: 781-834-9647

Hatch Mill Restoration & Preservation Group Inc.

We are pleased to announce the establishment of the Hatch Mill Restoration & Preservation Group, Inc. created to restore Marshfield's Hatch Mill into a working educational site. Read more about Hatch Mill Restoration & Preservation Group Inc.

Newport Mansions
424 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI 02840
Phone: 401-847-1000

Newport Mansions

The Newport Mansions offer visitors a unique trip through America’s past. Audio tours at The Breakers, The Elms & Marble House bring you the personal stories of the men and women who lived in these grand mansions and the household staff who cared for them. Read more about Newport Mansions

Scituate Historical Society at The Little Red School House
43 Cudworth Road
Scituate, MA
Phone: 781-545-1083

Scituate Historical Society

The Scituate Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of local historical sites and the education of young and old alike. They are headquartered at "The Little Red School House", which was purchased from the Town of Scituate in 1984 for $1. This building houses the Society's genealogical and historical library, administrative center, archives and a gift shop. Two rooms are available for local organizations in need of meeting space.

  Read more about Scituate Historical Society

Middleborough Historical Association & Museum
Jackson Street
Middleborough, MA 02346
Phone: 508-947-1969

Middleborough Historical Association & Museum

Middleborough Historical Museum – “Going Forward With The Past” Located in downtown Middleboro, we are home to one of the country's largest collections of Tom Thumb memorabilia, as well as an extensive collection of unique period artifacts displayed within two 1820 mill houses, the West Side Whistle House, the Judge Wilkes Wood Law Office, the Sproat Tavern Outhouse, and an authentic 19th century blacksmith shop and carriage house.

  Read more about Middleborough Historical Association & Museum

King Caesar House
120 King Caesar Road
Duxbury, MA 02331
Phone: 781-934-6106

King Caesar House

This Federal mansion was built in 1809 for Ezra Weston II, known as “King Caesar” for his worldwide preeminence as a shipbuilder and merchant.  Weston’s enterprise dominated Duxbury in the early 19th century with a large portion of the population employed in the Weston shipyards, farms, wharves, mill, ropewalk, or aboard Weston’s fishing schooners and merchant fleet.  Ezra Weston’s ship Hop Read more about King Caesar House

The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
479 Washington Street
Duxbury, MA 02331
Phone: 781-934-6106

The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

The Duxbury Rural and Historical Society is a non-profit organization seeking to foster a better understanding of the heritage and rural environment of Duxbury, Massachusetts. The Society’s goals are to provide access to its buildings and lands, to provide educational programs for the community, to collect, preserve and exhibit artifacts relating to Duxbury’s history, to provide a library and archives for the encouragement of scholarly research and to publish documents of historical interest. The DRHS does this by maintaining four historic house properties, an archival library, museum collections, and more than 150 acres of land held in conservation.

  Read more about The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

Stockbridge Mill
6 County War
Scituate , MA 02066
Phone: 781-545-1083

Stockbridge Mill

In 1640 Isaac Stedman dammed the First Herring Brook and built a sawmill beside the pond. Around 1650, John Stockbridge built the currently standing gristmill. Much of the machinery now in the mill was installed by Stockbridge. Read more about Stockbridge Mill

Cohasset Historical Society
106 South Main Street
Cohasset, MA
Phone: 781-383-1434

Cohasset Historical Society

Incorporated originally as an outgrowth of the Committee On Town History, the Cohasset Historical Society has been collecting, safeguarding and exhibiting artifacts relating to Cohasset's historic past since 1928. Headquartered at 106 S. Main St. in the town's original 1903 library, the Society operates two additional seasonal museums in the center of town. Read more about Cohasset Historical Society

1903 Paul Pratt Building
106 South Main Street
Cohasset, MA 02025
Phone: 781-383-1434

1903 Paul Pratt Building

The Cohasset Historical Society Headquarters is housed in this building which was designed by Edward Nichols, a Cohasset native and Boston architect. The Pratt Building was built in 1903 to provide Cohasset with a central library building for both the private Paul Pratt Memorial Library and the town's Cohasset Free Public Library. Read more about 1903 Paul Pratt Building

Old Oaken Bucket - Homestead and Well
47 Old Oaken Bucket Road
Scituate, MA 02066
Phone: 781-545-1083

Old Oaken Bucket - Homestead and Well

Poet Samuel Woodworth’s poem “The Old Oaken Bucket” made The Old Oaken Bucket Homestead and Well on of the most popular local attractions in the late 1800s. His poem, a lament for the lost days of his youth, has been described as one of the most beautiful works in the English language, and was translated into more than eight other languages around the world. Read more about Old Oaken Bucket - Homestead and Well

Alden House Historic Site
105 Alden Street
Duxbury, MA
Phone: 781-934-9092

Alden House Historic Site

John Alden and Priscilla Mullins arrived in Plimoth Colony on the Mayflower in 1620 and were married about 1622. In 1627, they moved to land in Duxbury where they raised their 10 children. That land has never been out of the Alden family. Now designated a National Historic Landmark, the property welcomes visitors for tours of the c. 1680 Alden family home, archeological site, and grounds and offers hands-on programs that "bring history to life."  Read more about Alden House Historic Site

Jones River Village Historical Society Kingston, MA 02364
Phone: 781-585-6300

Jones River Village Historical Society

The Jones River Village Historical Society works to collect, preserve and educate the public abou the history of the town of Kingston. It makes its collections accessible through exhibition, research assistance and educational programs and lectures. It also preserves, protects and maintains the Society's headquarters, the Major John Bradford Homestead. Read more about Jones River Village Historical Society

The Richard Sparrow House
42 Summer Street
Plymouth, MA
Phone: 508-747-1240

The Richard Sparrow House

Richard Sparrow, his wife Pandora, and son Jonathan, left their home in England, and arrived in New Plimoth by 1633.  As a freeman, Richard was granted a house tract of six acres in 1636, which required him to construct a house within four years.  The original two-story house contained one room on each level and utilized cross summer beam construction.  With its large rooms, leaded glass window Read more about The Richard Sparrow House

1810 Captain John Wilson House
4 Elm Street
Cohasset, MA 02025
Phone: 781-383-1434

1810 Captain John Wilson House

Restored with the generousity of Community Preservation Act funding, 1810 Captain John Wilson House located at 4 Elm St., contains period household furnishings and exhibits about 19th century life in Cohasset. Built by David Nichols  and purchased soon thereafter by Captain John Wilson, the house remained in the Wilson family until 1912. Read more about 1810 Captain John Wilson House

Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House
479 Washington Street
Duxbury, MA 02331
Phone: 781-934-6106

Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House

Acquired by the Society in 1997 through a community fundraising effort, the Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House is perhaps the most architecturally significant building in Duxbury.  Its construction, on a grand scale uncommon in houses of the area, was based on designs by Bulfinch and Asher Benjamin. Read more about Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House

Kathleen Laidlaw Historical Center "The Little Red Schoolhouse"
43 Cudworth Road
Scituate, MA 02066
Phone: 781-545-1083

Kathleen Laidlaw Historical Center "The Little Red Schoolhouse"

As the headquarters of the Scituate Historical Society, the Kathleen Laidlaw Historical Center provides the heartbeat of the organization. Two meeting rooms are available for local organizations needing meeting space. All inquiries to the Scituate Historical Society pass through this facility. Read more about Kathleen Laidlaw Historical Center "The Little Red Schoolhouse"

Hingham Historical Society Hingham , MA
Phone: 781-749-7721

Hingham Historical Society

Believing that awareness of our place in the stream of history enriches our lives and heightens appreciation and respect for the people, institutions and natural world around us, the Hingham Historical Society (incorporated June 14, 1914) undertakes to achieve the following goals and missions: Read more about Hingham Historical Society

Plymouth Antiquarian Society
126 Water Street
Plymouth, MA
Phone: 508-746-0012

Plymouth Antiquarian Society

The Plymouth Antiquarian Society, founded in 1919, is Plymouth's largest organization dedicated to preserving historic houses and landmarks. The Society owns and maintains three historic houses from different centuries: the 1677 Harlow House, the 1749 Spooner House, and the 1809 Hedge House, and an ancient Native American site, Sacrifice Rock. Read more about Plymouth Antiquarian Society

Winslow House
634 Careswell Street
Marshfield, MA 02050
Phone: 781-837-5753

1699 Historic Winslow House & Cultural Center

The historic 1699 Winslow House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the ancestral home of the founding family of Marshfield and was considered an avant-garde South Shore mansion. Built by Judge Isaac Winslow, grandson of Mayflower passenger and three-time governor of Plymouth Colony Edward Winslow, the house is an example of Marshfield’s historic past. Read more about 1699 Historic Winslow House & Cultural Center

Plymouth Cordage Company Museum
10 Cordage Park Circle
Plymouth, MA 02360
Phone: 508-746-7707

Plymouth Cordage Historical Society

The Plymouth Cordage Society is aimed at preserving the history of the Plymouth Cordage Company, once the largest rope-making company in the world and the Town of Plymouth's largest employer. A small museum of archives and artifacts is maintained at Cordage Park in North Plymouth. The Museum can be accessed through the tower entrance. Meetings are held at the Museum in Mill #1 on the second Wednesday of the month at 5:30pm (excluding July and August) Read more about Plymouth Cordage Historical Society

Major John Bradford House
50 Landing Road
Kingston, MA
Phone: 781-585-6300

Major John Bradford House

Bradford House is an historic house at 50 Landing Road in Kingston, Massachusetts. The Jones River Village Historical Society is located in the house, known as the Major John Bradford Homestead.

The house was built in 1714 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. Read more about Major John Bradford House

Hedge House Museum
126 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
United States
Phone: 508-746-0012

Antiquarian Summer Fair

Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:00am to 3:00pm

Attic treasures, jewelry, homemade goodies, and bargains galore are some of the delights of this old-fashioned New England fair, held under a big tent on our sweeping lawn overlooking Plymouth harbor. Gates open promptly at 10 am and browsers are welcome, free of charge!
Can't wait to see what's on offer? Special 9:30 am Early Bird Admission is $10 per person.  For more details, email pasm@verizon.net or call 508-746-0012. 

Read more