The Jabez Howland House
The Jabez Howland House is the only existing house in Plymouth where Pilgrims actually lived. The original 17th century two-story timber framed house consisted of the porch, hall and hall chamber. John Howland and his wife, Elizabeth Tilley Howland spent their winters here with their son Jabez and his family. After John’s death at age 80, and the fire that destroyed their Rocky Nook farm, Elizabeth lived here until 1680 when Jabez sold the house. It was a private residence until 1912 when it was purchased for a museum.
In the 1940’s extensive work was done to bring it back to its original appearance. Today the museum houses fine period furniture as well as artifacts from archeological digs at the Rocky Nook homes of John and Elizabeth and their son Joseph’s farm. See 17th century fine period furniture as well as artifacts, letters and documents, letters from famous descendants Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill, plus many other exciting things.
A National Register of Historic Places site.
Open 10am-4:30pm 7 days a week from Memorial Day weekend through October 31st, including Holidays.